kiax allows you to place telephone calls using your computer, headphones, and a microphone. BLAG's package of kiax is pre-configured to use the free BLASTERISK account (user blagger, password blagblag).
With it you can place calls to nearly anywhere in the world, join conferences, provide BLAG tech support, etc.
- kiax comes default in BLAG50000, but if you don't have it installed run this: apt-get update && apt-get install kiax
- Run kiax. It is in the menu under "Internet"
- The first time you run kiax, it has to set up the account. Click "New Account" and it will fill in the free BLASTERISK defaults.
- Check "Make Account Default" and then "Save & Close"
- Then (dirty) go to "File->Close" to close the application.
- Re-launch kiax by going to "Menu->Internet->kiax" again.
- Click the "Dialpad" tab
- Click the "#" key in the dialpad
- Hit the "Play" button which looks like a right pointing arrow, this will (inconveniently) open a new tab for that call
- Hit the "Dialpad" tab again
- Then in the dialpad click the number for the option you want, such as "9" for an outside line. (HINT: you can hit the Alt key and the number to dial more quickly)
This is quite a number of steps to do to dial a number since the new tab comes up, you have to hold Alt to dial (which most people don't know), the application doesn't automatically register when you first run the application, etc. Anyway, it does "work" but could certainly be streamlined.
This is the configuration of kiax for the guest user "blagger".
Account Name BLASTERISK IAX Server blasterisk.blagblagblag.org Username blagger Password blagblag CallerID Name Your name (optional) CallerID Number Your number (optional) Preferred Codec GSM (or whatever you want to try)
Turning off "auto gain detection" in preferences may greatly help if you are picking up too much background noise while you aren't talking. (It "cured" things for me!)
Name : kiax Relocations: (not relocatable) Version : 0.8.51 Vendor: (none) Release : 5blag.fc5 Build Date: Thu 22 Jun 2006 12:25:16 AM BST Install Date: Thu 22 Jun 2006 12:25:36 AM BST Build Host: blag50k.blagblagblag.org Group : Applications/Internet Source RPM: kiax-0.8.51-5blag.fc5.src.rpm Size : 1304278 License: GPL Signature : (none) URL : http://www.kiax.org Summary : A BLAG'd GNU/Linux IAX VoIP softphone Description : Kiax is a softphone (VoIP client program) with a simple and comfortable user interface for making VoIP calls to Asterisk PBX. It depends on the iaxclient library to use Asterisk's IAX2 protocol for easy and successful call configuration and audio support. This package has been pre-configured to work with BLASTERISK.